Sunday, February 19, 2006

Helpful Advice

I was correcting some writing written by second year students. I didn't give this assignment but I think it's a good idea.

So anyway, the writing assignment:

"Write advice to a foreign student who will be coming to your home for a homestay."

Most students wrote about bathing etiquette and taking off shoes. Some students were a little more creative though.

Here are my favorites:

  • You must not break windows.
  • When you eat food, you MUST use hashi.
  • You may not eat bread too much.
  • You must not look down on elderly people.
  • You must not romp inside my home.
  • You must not speak English.
  • When you come in my room, don't open the door without knocking.
  • When you go to school, you must get up early with me. Because we will be late for the 5:30 train.
  • When you eat lunch, you must not watch TV.
  • We don't mind if you have juice.
  • Listening to music after 11:00 is not allowed in our house.
  • When you drive a car in Japan you must keep to the left. So, if you are driving by keeping to the right, you will have a traffic accident.

No comments: