Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Discrimination? In Japan?

The longer I'm here the more I recognize the discrimination all around me. This radio broadcast brings up some very interesting issues, because if you ask the average Japanese person (and I guess anyone, in any country) they will deny being racist. But then they will also tell you how Koreans are naturally inferior people. And Chinese people are rude and unrefined. Japanese people don't see these views as being racist, they actually BELIEVE them as the truth.

My friend Eleanor, a completely harmless looking English girl, was pulled over by the police while driving with her family. Her crime? Being white, and driving. Once she showed her Alien Registration card the police left them alone. I'm sure the police justified the stop because surely foreigners driving around the countryside MUST be up to no good.

No comments: